[lbo-talk] The Ontology of Two Chairs (was Reich on sex & religion)

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Thu Jan 6 08:56:18 PST 2005

On Wed, 5 Jan 2005, Jon Johanning wrote:

> As you know, "data" means "givens" in Latin. So who or what gives them? Could
> it be the "real world"?

Scientific data are not "given" by the real world; they are actively generated by scientists using existing theories, creativity, and a lot of hard work. You're not giving scientists enough credit! (Without our background of theories and practice, nature can't "give" us anything.)

> How do you distinguish data that are veridical perceptions from
> hallucinations or other perceptual mistakes? Why do models that work, work
> and models that don't, don't?

Only a philosopher would ask that question. Any practical person would say, "hey, it works! Let's see if it works in this new setting or over a period of time!"

> (It sounds to me as though you are fairly close to Hume, as many scientists
> are even today. But there are problems with Hume's account of science ...)

You keep talking about problems with X and Y and Z; could you provide a more detailed argument to support your point of view?

Miles