[lbo-talk] kvetching about Sontag's relation to the closet

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Jan 7 12:49:11 PST 2005

Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:

>To this day, little rethinking on Yugoslavia has taken place in
>liberal circles, and it's not clear why they think it is OK to do
>"regime change" in Yugoslavia but not in Iraq.

I don't agree with this, but I'd bet they'd say that intervening in Yugo was "stopping a genocide" with minimal damage to civilians - while the war in Iraq was a pointless aggression that's done violence to many civilians.

Of course, the more important difference is probably that the Yugo war was Clinton's, and Iraq is Bush's.

Doug