[lbo-talk] Chinese netizens rail at Japan

uvj at vsnl.com uvj at vsnl.com
Fri Jan 7 18:16:17 PST 2005

Hindustan Times

Chinese netizens rail at Japan

Tokyo/Beijing

EVERY DAY on the "My View of Japan" bulletin board, Song Yangbiao, 27, and his contributors post reports of perceived slights by the Japanese. Many predict that military conflict is inevitable, and some wish it would come sooner rather than later. "I'm 30 and a fire burns in my heart," writes one contributor. "Only war can extinguish these flames." In China such inflammatory comments appear to represent anything but a small minority. In the past two years, small anti-Japanese protests have mushroomed into nationwide campaigns through the internet and mobile phone text messages.

Song believes anger is natural, given what he sees as Japan's failure to properly atone for atrocities carried out by its troops during their occupation of China.

Guardian News Service

epaper solution by BODHTREE