[lbo-talk] Fiction recommendations

John Thornton jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Sat Jan 8 14:13:53 PST 2005

I need a few recommendations for recent works of fiction that are worth reading. Any genre is acceptable, the only stipulation is that is has to be fiction and it has to be post 1995. I only read maybe one or two fiction books a year, and I generally dislike them, so coming up with a list of 5 contemporary works worth reading is almost impossible for me. I read non-fiction primarily and seldom find works of fiction to be compelling. I generally prefer short stories for my fiction reading. The last work of fiction I read was "Blindness" by Jose Saramago and I was barely able to finish it as it was overly simplistic and I could not recommend it to anyone over 15 years old. It seems possible that this may have been the result of the English language version having been the work of two different translators however. Any help from fiction readers would be appreciated.

John Thornton

-- No virus found in this outgoing message. Checked by AVG Anti-Virus. Version: 7.0.300 / Virus Database: 265.6.9 - Release Date: 1/6/2005

--- avast! Antivirus: Outbound message clean. Virus Database (VPS): 0501-1, 01/07/2005 Tested on: 1/8/2005 4:20:39 PM avast! - copyright (c) 1988-2004 ALWIL Software. http://www.avast.com