[lbo-talk] Stocks set to explode...

joanna bujes jbujes at covad.net
Sat Jan 8 21:19:09 PST 2005

Some spybot must have detected some stock chat on my line because I am now beset with "this stock is set to explode" emails. This brings to mind a recent post by Chuck G, about western culture, science, the big bang, and the phalluses upon which our fantasies turn.

For me, there is something ominous about the way exploding stocks are replacing exploding/gushing genitalia as spa[s]ms of the day. I am beginning to feel what Carnegie (or-I-forget-the-name-of-the-magnate) felt in 29, when the boy shining his shoes gave him a stock tip, and the magnate realized that when speculation reaches shoe-shine boys, it must be time to sell. So he did.

The astrologers say the stock market busts in March 2005, but who knows, maybe earlier. I suppose one upside about the stock market taking a dive is that it will be much more difficult to make a case for privatizing social security. On the other hand, just as the Swedes(?) starved to death in Greenland surrounded by (culturally unacceptable) fish, perhaps the American Consumer would prefer to see his old age benefits disappear rather than fight for the cuturally unacceptable notion of shared social support.

Musing in Oakland,

Joanna