[lbo-talk] Fiction recommendations

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 9 07:54:07 PST 2005

--- John Thornton <jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> I need a few recommendations for recent works of
> fiction that are worth
> reading.

I don't know how the translation is, but this book blew me away when I read it in Russian:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0140279725/qid=1105285926/sr=2-2/ref=pd_ka_b_2_2/002-1903715-8099239

Editorial Reviews

Amazon.com Victor Pelevin has the sort of unbridled comedic imagination that can make most writers seem insipid by comparison. Born in 1962, the Russian writer has already published three story collections as well as a splendidly funny take on the Soviet space program, Omon Ra. From time to time his effects lurch out of control, yet Pelevin's manic level of invention tends to carry us along until he regains his equipoise. Certainly this is the case with The Life of Insects. This time, Pelevin sets his story in a sleazy Crimean resort town, where his characters eat, drink, make merry, make love... and turn into insects. This is no soft-focus allegory: the author is superbly specific about his entomological creations. "Arthur and Arnold had turned into small mosquitoes," he writes, "of that miserable hue of gray familiar from prerevolutionary village huts, a color that in its time had reduced many a Russian poet to tears." The sex scenes are a mite (as it were) much, though nothing more gruesome than you'd see in your average PBS documentary. Still, Pelevin's best trick is to makes his six-legged protagonists appear all too human. A self-doubting cicada, for example, finds himself envying the relative ease of an ant's life: "But he never dwelt on such comparisons, aware that once he stopped and began to compare himself with others, it would begin to seem that he had already achieved a great deal, and he would lose the sense of resentment toward life that was essential to continue his struggle." The Life of Insects is a black-comic Metamorphosis for the 1990s, minus Kafka's gravity and with an extra dose of Slavic neurosis. --William Davies--This text refers to an out of print or unavailable edition of this title.

===== Nu, zayats, pogodi!