[lbo-talk] Re: nailing the holy ghost

Chuck Grimes cgrimes at rawbw.com
Mon Jan 10 12:34:01 PST 2005

Arians believe in hierarchy -- political and theological. --CGE

---------

You're right. I had a question mark after the sentence but took it out. ``We are the Arians against the Trinity?''

So, no. Maybe the last of the pagans.

But to the larger point. The US has turned itself into a monotheistic (neoliberalism) screed that tolerates no other gods. Facts no longer matter, its all about values. American values? Some quasi-economic, quasi-moral, quasi-political ad hoc dogma raised to the status of religious being.

There are no opposition political parties because they are all believers, shared values, immune to facts, immune to the world. Political campaigns are just a recitation of the catechism.

Reason only exists within the pre-assigned boundaries of this catechism as a hermeneutic artifice. And it is this peculiar artificiality of reason that strikes me as so similar to the weirdness of arguing over the status of the holy ghost.

(From the Heilbroner dead thread):

The Crisis of Vision in Modern Economic Thought, co-authored with Will Milberg, he noted that "the high theorising of the present period [in economics] attains a degree of unreality that can be matched only by medieval scholasticism".

I didn't realize, until I was checking up on the holy ghost that Athanasius (arch-enemy of Arianism--for those who don't know and don't care) was responsible for more or less finalizing the 27 books of the New Testament. I've got the OT pseudoapocrypha, but never looked into the NT apocrypha.

I think I can see the relationship between which books to include in NT and the holy ghost. The text must have its divine inspiration (holy ghost), tantamount to the word of god. And because of the trinity, it doesn't matter whose word since they are all the same.

CG