[lbo-talk] Re: nailing the holy ghost

joanna bujes jbujes at covad.net
Mon Jan 10 16:08:47 PST 2005

Dwayne Monroe wrote:

> While driving to work I listened to a radio show segment about
> believers struggling with the two, apparently contradictory facts of
> god being love and yet allowing a terrible tsunami to kill tens of
> thousands.
>
> A Catholic bishop was dragged out of bed to offer his wisdom. "It is
> a great mystery" he said, "a great mystery." An alternative
> explanation - such as there not being a deity to debate about - had
> zero chance it seemed of being put out there.

This is very tiresome.

Here are some alternatives:

1. There is a god, but she is not particularly concerned with the survival of individual humans.

2. God did issue a warning, but only "primitive" tribes and wild animals were able to hear it.

3. Our notions of innocence/guilt are laughable and we are even more idiotic for thinking that God ascribes to these as well.

Joanna