[lbo-talk] Fighting a Two-Front War (was Armstrong as self-syndicator)

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Tue Jan 11 15:41:25 PST 2005

> >Jon Johanning wrote:
>> >
>> > Of course, from the "true radical"'s point of view, the anti-Bush
>> > voters don't count because they voted for Kerry (yuch!), and are
>> therefore brainwashed idiots.
>>
>>Jon Johanning, you are a bloody liar and scoundrel. Find one example of
>>someone who opposed Kerry and who also attacked Kerry's voters.
>>
>>I have never said, nor has any other enemy of the DP on this list ever
>>said, one word against the voters for Kerry. Only an ignoramus or lying
>>scoundrel would suggest this.
>>
>>What slime!
>>Carrol
>
>I think Jon put "true radicals" in quotes because he was using the
>term somewhat tongue-in-cheek. The later part of his posts suggests
>that to me anyway.
>
>"In fact, everyone but the "true radical" is a brainwashed idiot, by
>definition." "Meanwhile, we "impure radicals" just keep on truckin'."
>
>I'm sure Jon will let me know if I've misread him though. Have a cup
>of tea and settle down a bit.
>
>John Thornton

Jon deserves all he got from Carrol since he first launched an I.E.D. that combines prejudicial language <http://www.datanation.com/fallacies/pl.htm> and straw man <http://www.datanation.com/fallacies/straw.htm> with no provocation from our camp.

In any event, Jon's sentence that you and Carrol quote above sums up the problem of professional Democrats. When Karl Rove and other Republican operatives look at radicals to their right, what they think of above all else is how they can enlist and unleash the radicals on Democrats. When professional Democrats (most of whom think like Jon) see radicals to their left, the only thing they can think of is how to demolish them before Republicans get around to doing that. In short, Republicans fight only a one-front war, but Democrats have a penchant for fighting a two-front war, with half their divisions concentrated on the left front. -- Yoshie

* Critical Montages: <http://montages.blogspot.com/> * "Proud of Britain": <http://www.proudofbritain.net/ > and <http://www.proud-of-britain.org.uk/>