[lbo-talk] re: conclusion to Tigar's defense of Stewart

Chip Berlet c.berlet at publiceye.org
Tue Jan 11 16:21:50 PST 2005

Hi,

The ending of the Tigar summation is a brilliant piece of classic rhetoric.

I have tremendous respect for his devotion to civil liberties. He was also Terry Nichols attorney in the federal OKC bombing case. Tigar brought me to Denver as an expert to rebut government claims that Nichols (in the Patriot/militia orbit) and Timothy McVeigh (in the neonazi orbit) shared the same anti-government philosophy--a ludicrous assertion. The government withdrew their expert making this claim when Tigar put me and another journalist, Joel Dyer, on the witness list. Luckily, neither of us had to testify. Watching Tigar work, and being questioned by him during meetings of the defense team, was a memorable experience.

Say hello for me, and add my appreciation for his work that you have already expressed.

Chip Berlet

<<SNIP>>