[lbo-talk] Armstrong as self-syndicator

Jon Johanning zenner41 at mac.com
Tue Jan 11 19:15:47 PST 2005

On Jan 11, 2005, at 5:11 PM, Carrol Cox wrote:

> Jon Johanning, you are a bloody liar and scoundrel. Find one example of
> someone who opposed Kerry and who also attacked Kerry's voters.
>
> I have never said, nor has any other enemy of the DP on this list ever
> said, one word against the voters for Kerry. Only an ignoramus or lying
> scoundrel would suggest this.

Hey, don't take it personally! Did I mention your name?

But if you like, I'll amend "Kerry voters" to "ABBers." The hard radicals on the list have poured plenty of scorn on ABBers in the last few months. Brain-washed, sell-outs to the capitalist pigs, etc., etc. (I'm paraphrasing, of course.)

But then the question arises, what really distinguishes Kerry voters from ABBers? ABBers said, "We'll vote for anyone but Bush." Kerry was nominated, thus becoming the "anyone but Bush." The sin beyond forgiving (sin against the Holy Ghost?) of the ABBers was that they supported Kerry rather than Nader (or maybe some other third-party candidate). So did all the Kerry voters. Wouldn't these radicals rather have had all the Kerry voters vote for Nader? And isn't their explanation for why the Kerry voters didn't vote for Nader, or some other third-party candidate, that these voters were duped by the corporate media, etc.? Kerry voters and ABBers are all wishy-washy liberals, aren't they?

The main point is that I would like to honor all the anti-Shrub voters, whether voters for Kerry or for other candidates, and hope that they, and any Shrub supporters who become disillusioned with him in the coming years, continue to cast their votes to resist the reactionary tide.

On Jan 11, 2005, at 6:09 PM, John Thornton wrote:

> I think Jon put "true radicals" in quotes because he was using the
> term somewhat tongue-in-cheek. The later part of his posts suggests
> that to me anyway.
>
> "In fact, everyone but the "true radical" is a brainwashed idiot, by
> definition."
> "Meanwhile, we "impure radicals" just keep on truckin'."
>
> I'm sure Jon will let me know if I've misread him though. Have a cup
> of tea and settle down a bit.

You are right. When will I ever learn to stop stirring up hornets' nests? It's a very bad habit of mine.

PS: Sister Prejean was an awesome speaker. I'd follow her anywhere, even if she believes in God and quotes Jesus in favor of social justice. (I can forgive minor sins like that.)

Jon Johanning // jjohanning at igc.org __________________________ When I was a little boy, I had but a little wit, 'Tis a long time ago, and I have no more yet; Nor ever ever shall, until that I die, For the longer I live the more fool am I. -- Wit and Mirth, an Antidote against Melancholy (1684)