[lbo-talk] "...and your home in the graaaaaave!"

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 12 10:11:05 PST 2005

>From: Jim Westrich <westrich at nodimension.com>
>
>What do Ali G and Roseanne Barr have in common? Sasha Baron Cohen riles up
>the
>masses at a Virginia rodeo.
>
>http://www.roanoke.com/news/roanoke/16655.html

[A bonus feature is that the UK media misidentifed the Salem Civic Center as being in Salem, Massachusetts (which hasn't gotten excited about much since the Witch Trials of 1692 and is, btw, my birthplace) instead of Salem, Virginia (where I suspect patriotic fervor is more easily inflammable), viz.:]

Ali G Comic Blamed For Hoax

Ali G comic Sacha Baron Cohen is being blamed for a hoax which enraged cowboys at a rodeo in the USA.

The funnyman's other alter ego, Kazakhstani Borat Sagdiyev, is the chief suspect behind the stunt at a rodeo in Salem, Massachusetts.

It started when a "Middle Eastern man in an American flag shirt and a cowboy hat" was introduced to the crowd as Borat Sagdiyev from Kazakhstan.

The man, speaking in broken English, said: "I hope you kill every man, woman and child in Iraq, down to the lizards.

"And may George W Bush drink the blood of every man, woman and child in Iraq."

Then, according to the Roanoke Times, the crowd turned nasty....

<http://www.sky.com/showbiz/article/0,,50001-1166924,00.html>

Carl