[lbo-talk] Does Al Qaeda Exist?

Joseph Wanzala jwanzala at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 12 13:22:47 PST 2005

It's not a matter of whether Al Qaeda exists or not. It is a matter of what one understands Al Qaeda to be. I have never argued that it does not exist. I have challenged the view that it is a large, centrally controlled and integrated network. It is is this latter view that has given the Bush admin a blank check since 2001. I have also raised questions about links between (alleged) terrorists and Western intelligence agencies - links that have been shown to exist in mainstream news articles.

There are two issues at play here:

1. What is Al Qaeda and how has the myth of Al-Qaeda been used and manipulated to fuel the 'war on terror'.

On this we seem to be more less in agreement as far as I can tell.

2. Who was behind 9-11, Osama Bin Laden or the US Govt. or both?

Here we disagree.

I say I don't know since there has been no real criminal investigation.

You want to kick the nuts of anyone who would challenge the official version of events.

Joe W.