[lbo-talk] Stop Flogging the Dead Donkey and Own the Power of a Spoiler

R rhisiart at charter.net
Wed Jan 12 17:53:48 PST 2005

At 05:11 PM 1/12/2005, you wrote:
>Jon Johanning wrote:
>
>>Nevertheless, what I want to point out is that the Kerry voters did vote
>>against Bush. A very obvious point, but people who are now crying, "Woe
>>is us! The Bushies' juggernaut is overwhelming the world!" are being a
>>trifle defeatist, I think. There are plenty of Americans who strongly
>>disagree with Shrub's agenda, and it looks likely that he will not get
>>much of it passed in Congress, given that his power as a lame duck will
>>inevitably decline, and it's not that impressive even now, as Doug noted.
>>Presidents do have stronger powers in foreign policy than domestic, but
>>he's running out of military punch to run the world, and his floundering
>>in Iraq shows that he doesn't even know how to use what he has.
>
>Which stage of mourning is the ABB movement in this week? Anger? More denial?

good point, chuck0. to add to your categories, allow me to suggest 20/20 hindsight. i was reading some appraisals -- if one can call them that -- in The Nation (i received a free copy) of the ABB movement and other election lunacy. peans of regret and i'll never do that again from a few sources in the Nation and elsewhere.

what is stupid now was just as stupid then. and how many still resist, deny, ignore, etc., the fact that vote machines were rigged. (was john kerry in the country when jones, boxer, black caucus members, challenged the vote?)

yet, i'm sure crypto rightwing twits like nathan newman will tell us to support the democrats (who don't even support themselves) while we wait, sucking our thumbs, for a great grassroots movement to emerge courtesy of show liberals at moveOn, ACT, trade unions, etc.