[lbo-talk] Harry, the uber colonial

martin mschiller at pobox.com
Fri Jan 14 07:03:57 PST 2005

On Jan 13, 2005, at 10:42 PM, joanna bujes wrote:

> Yeah, he was like in Rommel desert gear with a swastika armband.

I saw the picture but didn't get the connection to colonialism. I guess that I'm conditioned to think of german nationalism as nativist rather than colonial.

You said that the articles didn't mention the 'theme', and I wondered if the failure was intentional avoidance, since the relationship of british colonial power isn't seen locally in the same category as german world domination. I considered the possibility that the association (brit colonial <--> nazi conquest) was the real affront to sensibilities rather than the costume itself.

Martin