[lbo-talk] FDR's Grandson Protests image hijacking

Leigh Meyers leigh_m at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jan 14 08:06:30 PST 2005

<> The ad, running on Fox News and CNN through January 19, shows FDR signing the legislation creating the Social Security system and refers to the courage needed both to create the system and to protect it.

To compare the courage needed to create Social Security "to the courage it will take to dismantle the most successful social program in history is simply unconscionable," Roosevelt, 70, wrote.

<>

FDR's Grandson Protests Soc. Security Ad

Thu Jan 13, 3:59 PM ET

By JIM ABRAMS, Associated Press Writer

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=544&e=8&u=/ap/social_security_roosevelt

WASHINGTON - The grandson of Franklin Delano Roosevelt on Thursday protested use of FDR's image in a television ad touting President Bush 's plan to partially privatize Social Security.

"My grandfather would surely oppose the ideas now being promoted by this administration and your organization," James Roosevelt Jr., wrote in a letter to Progress for America, a private group that supports conservative issues.

Roosevelt, who served as the Social Security Administration 's associate commissioner for retirement policy in the Clinton administration, said, "On behalf of my family, I would ask that you cease using my grandfather's image in your advertising campaign." <>

-- No virus found in this outgoing message. Checked by AVG Anti-Virus. Version: 7.0.302 / Virus Database: 265.6.11 - Release Date: 1/12/2005