[lbo-talk] Re: "rove picked kerry" source

snit snat snitilicious at tampabay.rr.com
Fri Jan 14 15:43:44 PST 2005

At 03:47 PM 1/14/2005, frank scott wrote:
>"I'll be happy to send you his e-mail address. He worked with Reagan and
>was
>important to the Dole campaign."
>
>look, i didn't mean to insult you, i only used the word "conspiracy" as
>a substitute for:
>
>what difference does it make if someone says he knows that rove, or
>whoever, preferred kerry as a loser and worked to get him to be the
>candidate and bla bla bla...
>
>as in, big fucking deal...if not for rove, or this guy, someone else -
>who? - would have been the democratic candidate...???
>
>as for credentials , some time back there was some guy who was supposed
>to have been an important (?) member of the dole team, whose name was on
>an internet bulletin about cheney and bush masterminding the 911
>attack...if he exists, he's a nut, but maybe the guy you're talking
>about is very sane, intelligent, and telling the truth ...but the point
>is simply that all these machinations, real or alleged, by evil
>republicans did not make the democrats the dumb fucking loser dickheads
>that they are...
>
>and rove really aint so smart, when you consider his opponents...
>
>fs

no, he's not a nut. he's a good friend of mine. known him for years.

i don't have the same feeling as some folks about the democrats. i've never put much hope in them, so i've never felt bitter about their failures -- which is how folks often sound when they snarl abt democrats.

so, sure, democrats were perfectly capable of losing on their own. karl rove ain't an evil genius -- but he's pretty saavy.

it's just not either/or. there's no reason not to acknowledge that rove's strategy helped them win the election AND that the democrats helped them win the election.

Frankly, I don't know what everyone's problem is. I was shocked that the election was as close as it was. Who would have thought, a year ago, that there was a hope in hell of anything but a landslide?

my point in addressing wojtek to begin with was about people's motivations for voting for the republicans. his argument was that, people weren't all necessarily scared out of their underpants about terrorism. rather, his point was that there are also a good number of people who went to the polls to vote ABL or ABK. The conservatives haven't spent the last 30 years turning liberalism into an evil to be equated with Stalinism for that not to be an important factor here.

When I was growing up, it was not shameful to be a Liberal. It is today, though. That didn't happen automagically. It happened because people planned it and threw billions of dollars into the effort. It also happened because of cultural factors, some of which were shot back and forth in the discussion between woj and jon.

anyway, i've got to go see if i can pump out 1000 words at 10 cts a word so I can put that down payment on the suburban and the mcmansion i'm desperate to live in.

kelley