[lbo-talk] Re: _for_ what? (was Stop Flogging <...>)

Brian Charles Dauth magcomm at ix.netcom.com
Sat Jan 15 18:09:33 PST 2005

Dear List:

Doug wrote:

> That was inspiring, excellent stuff. But the protests were always
very well targeted and timed.

Because ACT UP understood that you have to be for something that other people can identify with, which facilitates them becoming allies.

> And I remember talking to one of ACT-UP's drug experts long
ago - he's probably dead now, but man did that guy know his stuff.

The Treatment Committee was the greatest source of information for years. And we owed it all to Iris Long - a doctor who joined us and straightened us out (pun intended).

> That kind of knowledge gave the organization a lot of heft - much
more than it would have had had it just been a bunch of folks acting out in the street.

That is the problem with anarchists. They are just a destructive force. They are not for something -- like drugs in bodies; more streamlined drug approval system; housing (Housing Works started as the Housing Committee of ACT UP); better access to healthcare. They destroy property and hide their faces. We -- diseased fags who were about the most hated/reviled people in the country -- never hid, and we changed the world.

Anarchist actions show just how much the left has devolved.

Brian Dauth Queer Buddhist Resister