[lbo-talk] Stop Flogging the Dead Donkey and Own the Power ofa Spoiler

Jon Johanning zenner41 at mac.com
Sat Jan 15 19:40:57 PST 2005

On Jan 15, 2005, at 4:42 PM, Michael Dawson wrote:

> Protesting Bush is a gesture with no conceivable impact other than
> making
> the left look crazy.

I'm not so sure about that. I don't see anything wrong with protesting Bush (people certainly have the right to protest whatever they want to protest, and that's not just a 1st-Amendment right), but I don't see a heck of a lot of point to it at this stage, either. It won't change any minds in our favor. Much more important is coming up with positive ideas about what to do about various social problems and demonstrating in favor of our proposed solutions. Or (which is my main issue right now with the limited time I can spend on political activism) opposing something like the death penalty, where getting out and showing the public that there is a group of people with an alternative point of view has an educational purpose.

Everyone knows by now that there are a lot of people who think Shrub is (a) crazy (b) stupid (c) ignorant (d) evil or (e) all of the above, and just about everyone by now has made up their mind what they think about him. He's really not the issue any more -- it's the issues themselves that should be.

Jon Johanning // jjohanning at igc.org __________________________

From Translation all science had its offspring.

      -Giordano Bruno (quoted by John Florio, 1603)