[lbo-talk] Stop Flogging the Dead Donkey and Own the Power of a Spoiler

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Sun Jan 16 09:28:25 PST 2005

Michael Dawson mdawson at pdx.edu, Sat Jan 15 20:09:36 PST 2005:
>>So, you and Doug, perhaps alone among all leftists of any stripe in
>>the world, sat out all protests against the doings of the George W.
>>Bush administration for Bush's first term, because Bush won't
>>listen anyhow, and waited for a Democrat's victory, and now that
>>the wretched Kerry lost, you two will again sit out all protests
>>against the Bush Team's policy in his second term, because
>>protesting won't change the policy, and wait until 2008 when you
>>can vote for a Democrat whom you want to protest?
>>
>>That still doesn't make sense.
>>--
>>Yoshie
>
>Well, no. I will sit out the protest of the inauguration because
>it's a waste of energy, confused, way too indirect, and makes the
>left look like a pack of idiotic babies.
>
>Generally speaking, I think it's not legitimate to protest against
>somebody who merely beat you in an election. You can say Bush stole
>Ohio, but I don't believe that's true, and he still won the popular
>vote. (Side note: I oppose the Electoral College's existence, and
>will not spend my principle and energy doing anything that
>legitimizes it.)
>
>I attended lots of anti-war rallies and "movement" meetings.
>(Thanks to everybody having to tiptoe around Israel, the latter
>things were dens of confusion.) I will undoubtedly attend many more
>in the future.
>
>I oppose Bush and I oppose the Iraq and Afghan Wars. Nonetheless,
>Bush beat Kerry, and we ought to be sane and strategic enough to
>avoid wasting precious energy and opportunity to communicate on a
>"protest" of democracy.

The 2004 elections were the most plutocratic elections in the history of the United States:

Only 30.9% of the eligible electorate -- in other words, merely 28.5% of the voting-age population of 217.8 million (US Census Bureau, "Presidential Election: 2004," October 26, 2004) -- voted for George W. Bush. That's hardly a mandate.

. . . [N]on-voters were the largest bloc.

60.5% of the eligible electorate, which was 55.8% of the voting-age population, voted this year; 59.5% of the eligible electorate, which was 54.7% of the voting-age population, did so in 2000 ("Voting and Registration in the Election of 2000," February 2002). In short, it took a whopping 30% rise in campaign costs (October 21, 2004) to achieve practically the same turnout rates as 2000.

<http://montages.blogspot.com/2004/12/30-rise-in-campaign-costs-to-achieve.html></blockquote>

Protesting against the incumbent who received the support of merely 28.5% of the voting-age population, despite an avalanche of money, is not "a 'protest' against democracy."

Besides, organizers of Counter-Inaugural 2005 (who come from various groups of diverse political dispositions) aren't saying that George W. Bush "stole" the 2004 presidential election:

We cannot wait another 4 years to stand against the war and rampant social injustice of another Bush Administration. A coalition of social, political, and religious activists have come together to protest the coronation of George W. Bush. We invite you and all your friends and family to join hundreds of thousands in the streets of Washington, DC.

On November 2nd and 3rd as the votes were being counted residents of Washington DC took to the streets to show opposition to an inherently corrupt system, no matter who won the presidential election. Now the inauguration looms on the horizon and in DC where 91% voters rejected Bush energy is high to organize visible resistance to another 4 years of Bush through linking the national and even global struggle against the Bush regime to our local struggle for democracy here in the District. Come out and help shape this resistance!

Join us for a week of action January 15-Janurary 20, 2005. We're here to help plug you in to all the action.

<http://www.counter-inaugural.org/></blockquote>

<http://answer.pephost.org/site/PageServer?pagename=ANS_J20_index></blockquote>

Other groups are also planning demonstrations. At a news conference on Wednesday, leaders of five groups, including the National Alliance of Black Panthers and D.C. Anarchist Resistance, discussed plans that include anti-Bush rallies, marches, a bicycle ride and at least one act of civil disobedience.

The D.C. Anti-War Network is organizing a "die-in" march that it says will end with 1,000 cardboard coffins, representing people killed in recent American military actions, being taken to Lafayette Park, across from the White House.

Only one group described plans to create a presence during the presidential parade. Turn Your Back on Bush, a grassroots organization, is coordinating an effort to have people find spaces at the street curb and turn their backs to Mr. Bush as his motorcade passes.

"A great many people feel Bush has turned his back on them," said Sarah Kauffman, a field director for the group.

(Michael Janofsky, "Protest Groups, Too, Prepare for the President's Big Day," January 13, 2005, <http://www.nytimes.com/2005/01/13/politics/13protests.html>)</blockquote>

Cf. <http://www.infoshop.org/protests/inauguration2005.php>, <http://www.turnyourbackonbush.org/>

It seems that there will be one in Portland as well: <http://www.j20pdx.net/>

snit snat snitilicious at tampabay.rr.com, Sat Jan 15 15:19:07 PST 2005:
>1. To keep up active protests so people have organizations to which
>they turn (and join) when they, too, decide they've had enough.
>
>2. To build a social movement and, more importantly, build a party
>around anti-war organizing.

Out of oppositions to the war must grow fundamental criticisms of the nature of political economy that puts profits and perceived geopolitical gains before people. The AnybodyButBush politics derailed a potential for such development last year, but we'll see if American workers will overcome that tragic detour. The Counter-Inaugural after an election in which Bush won the popular vote fair and square, modest as it may be in size, will be a step in the right direction. -- Yoshie

* Critical Montages: <http://montages.blogspot.com/> * "Proud of Britain": <http://www.proudofbritain.net/ > and <http://www.proud-of-britain.org.uk/>