[lbo-talk] Panix.net

Leigh Meyers leigh_m at sbcglobal.net
Sun Jan 16 10:55:19 PST 2005

----- Original Message ----- From: Dwayne Monroe To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Sent: Sunday, January 16, 2005 10:31 AM Subject: [lbo-talk] Panix.net

Doug:

In my experience, Panix is run by really competent and dedicated people; I wouldn't be surprised if they dream in Unix. So if this hijacking can happen to them, something is deeply screwed up in the way domain names registration is run.

======

Exactly right and this incident is waking more of the technorati up to the deep, structural snafus of the domain naming system which have only recently come to my attention (I think we all sort of knew anyway but hoped for the best).

I smelled something foul in the air yesterday when things went dark from lbotalk - a lookup produced bizarre results and of course, emails were bounced.

The thieves (probably not the folks listed in the altered whois record which is no doubt a mis-direct - unless they've very, very stupid) have surely picked the wrong people to mess with. The collective, unfriendly attention of more than a few of Panix's quite savvy customers will eventually be turned in their direction.

Possibly the only worse move, from an enjoying the spoils of your ill gotten gain perspective, would be hijacking 2600 or Cryptome.

.d.

===========

Interesting, I saw the UK connection in WhoIs and immediately thought of IndyMedia. Maybe the Feds don't need to physically remove the server anymore. [heh] (they just send a malignant spider out into the 'net to find every dns with the occurrence of panix.com and scramble the dns's database selectively.)

But I'm no computer whiz...

Domain Name.......... panix.com

Creation Date........ 1991-04-22

Registration Date.... 2005-01-15

Expiry Date.......... 2006-04-23

Organisation Name.... vanessa Miranda

Organisation Address. 1010 Grand Cerritos Ave

Organisation Address.

Organisation Address. Las Vegas

Organisation Address. 89123

Organisation Address. NV

Organisation Address. UNITED STATES

Admin Name........... na vanessa Miranda

Admin Address........ 1010 Grand Cerritos Ave

Admin Address........

Admin Address........ Las Vegas

Admin Address........ 89123

Admin Address........ NV

Admin Address........ UNITED STATES

Admin Email.......... jzoh at yahoo.com

Admin Phone.......... +44.702413697

Admin Fax............ +44.7026413697

Tech Name............ Domain Admin

Tech Address......... Burnhill Business Centre

Tech Address.........

Tech Address......... Beckenham

Tech Address......... BR3 3LA

Tech Address......... Kent

Tech Address......... GREAT BRITAIN (UK)

Tech Email........... admin at powerhost.co.uk

Tech Phone........... +44.2082496081

Tech Fax............. +44.2082496076

Name Server.......... ns1.ukdnsservers.co.uk

Name Server.......... ns2.ukdnsservers.co.uk ============

BTW, 1010 Grand Cerritos Ave does appear to exist: http://maps.yahoo.com/maps_result?ed=9UHTS.p_0TpiyNcv2_qqw1KUMC00RtmLmayZxRonz8g-&csz=Las+Vegas+nevada&country=us&cat=&trf=0

...But I doubt if there's anyone there worth speaking with.

"You Hide... They Seek." --Thomas Pynchon, Proverbs for Paranoids

-- No virus found in this outgoing message. Checked by AVG Anti-Virus. Version: 7.0.302 / Virus Database: 265.6.13 - Release Date: 1/16/2005