[lbo-talk] Panix & New Domain Name Transer Rules

Dwayne Monroe idoru345 at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 16 11:42:15 PST 2005

Chip Berlet:

Hi,

Folks need to know that there are new domain name transfer rules that make it much easier to transfer a domain name ownership unless it is explicitly locked down at the registration company. When these rules went into effect recently, some registration companies automatically set all their names to locked--but others did not.

Regarding registrar locks, Panix's Alexis Rosen wrote:

from -

<http://www.merit.edu/mail.archives/nanog/msg04260.html >

Someone asked if we had registrar-lock set. It's not clear to me what happened. Our understanding is that we had locks on all of our domains. However, when we looked, locks were off on panix.net and panix.org, which we own but don't normally use. It's not clear how that happened; dotster has yet to contact us with any information about, well, anything at all. They did answer a call this morning; they're apprently in the middle of an ice storm. All I was able to larn from them is that according to the person I talked to, they had no records of any transfer requests on our domain from today back through last October.

[...]

===

So perhaps, despite Panix's understanding to the contrary, locks were not set or, as some on Slashdot have suggested, this was an 'inside job' (so to speak) and locks were purposely circumvented.

It's also possible the bureaucracy enforcing locking is not as robust as hoped. This wouldn't be at all surprising.

.d.