[lbo-talk] POPE'S STAND ON CUBA EMBARGO ANGERS EXILES

C. G. Estabrook galliher at alexia.lis.uiuc.edu
Sun Jan 16 13:52:33 PST 2005

No. All the much-misunderstood theological notion of infallibility asserts is the Catholic conviction that the church cannot fundamentally misrepresent the gospel -- although all would admit that substantial mistakes are possible... Catholics don't contend that the political judgments of the bishop of Rome are in any sense infallible (and they'd be uncomfortable with his being described as "God's representative on earth"). --CGE