[lbo-talk] POPE'S STAND ON CUBA EMBARGO ANGERS EXILES

John Thornton jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Sun Jan 16 15:02:46 PST 2005

This is incorrect. The pope can speak infallibly on any matter that pertains to faith or morals. It is not limited to matters concerning the gospels. To quote the Catholic Information Networks "Notes on Papal Infallibility":

"One of the limitations is the object of infallibility, namely, matters of "faith & morals." The phrase is difficult to interpret precisely. The Council of Trent had used the phrase in a much broader way, including matters of custom and ecclesiastical and liturgical discipline. Vatican I, however, distinguished between "faith & morals" on the one hand and matters "which pertain to discipline and Church government" on the other. It would appear, therefore, that the scope of infallibility would include doctrinal matters rather than just governmental and liturgical practises. In the official EXPOSITION, Bishop Gasser explained that infallibility has a direct and an indirect object:

"As I said before, since other truths, which in themselves may not be revealed, are more or less intimately bound up with revealed dogmas, they are necessary to protect, to expound correctly and to define efficaciously in all its integrity the deposit of faith. Truths of this nature belong to dogmatic facts insofar as without these it is not possible to protect and expound the deposit of faith, truths, I repeat, that do not belong directly to the deposit of faith but are necessary for its protection."

John Thornton

--- avast! Antivirus: Outbound message clean. Virus Database (VPS): 0502-4, 01/16/2005 Tested on: 1/16/2005 5:02:52 PM avast! - copyright (c) 1988-2004 ALWIL Software. http://www.avast.com