[lbo-talk] Re: Panix.net

Chuck Grimes cgrimes at rawbw.com
Sun Jan 16 15:38:55 PST 2005

>From panix.com:

Status as of Sun Jan 16 17:50:40 EST 2005

Recovery from the panix.com domain name hijack is underway. The registrar in Melbourne has reverted the domain back to us, and the global Internet registry and domain name servers are now showing the correct information.

---------

I am sorry it happened, but it also fascinates me. The isp I use is constructed more or less like a mini-version of panix. It runs unix shell accounts under FreeBSD so I masquerade as them under sendmail. Probably not wise.

At any rate, any theories out there? I just spend a few days during December researching dns to figure out how it worked and fiddled around with dig, whois, and nslookup to get a feel for how a dns actually works. But the trouble with home-schooling is its limited to what I can imagine or figure out to ask google. I got lost trying to understand why Internic was handed over to ICANN, and ICANN was sold or subcontracted out responsibility for dns servers to NetworkSolutions in the US. Or why the a.root server level was put outside the US. What were all these moves about?

Was this part of Al Gore's `I invented the Internet'?, ie. privatization and abandonment of public regulatory responsibility?

CG