[lbo-talk] Fwd: [nycanarchists] New Issue of Left Turn magazine #15 Out Now!

marc marc36 at resist.ca
Tue Jan 18 07:48:03 PST 2005

---------------------------- Original Message ---------------------------- Subject: [nycanarchists] New Issue of Left Turn magazine #15 Out Now! From: "Max" <max at riseup.net> Date: Tue, January 18, 2005 9:29 am To: nycanarchists at lists.riseup.net --------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyone interested in helping with distribution get in touch with us... new issue will be availalbe in better bookstores over the course of the week. -max

www.leftturn.org NEW ISSUE OF LEFT TURN MAGAZINE OUT NOW

Death by Democracy FEB/MAR 2005, No. 15 www.leftturn.org/magazine.aspx

Another four years of Bush & Co - what a depressing thought. Even those of us who don't look to electoral politics and the corporate two-party system for meaningful change have felt the impact of a renewed Bush mandate and the threat it posses for people all over the world.

As activists around the country reorganize themselves and search for effective ways to move forward, we too find ourselves in the midst of some changes. This issue of Left Turn is the first one compiled by a new editorial collective, which is made up of eight activists spread across four cities who have been involved with the magazine for some time now. With this we sadly say goodbye to the founding editors Bilal El-Amine and Brian Campbell - both are leaving but will stay involved and help support the project in various ways.

As a magazine and a loose network of activists connected nationally, Left Turn is now heading into its fourth year in existence. The response from readers across the country continues to be overwhelming and for the second year in a row, three articles from Left Turn magazine placed in Project Censored's yearly publication Censored 2005: The Top 25 Censored Stories of 2003-2004. We also received nominations for General Excellence: Magazines and International Coverage from the Utne Independent Press Awards 2004.

Still we have struggled with putting the magazine out as frequently as we would like, something readers might have noticed particularly with this issue. It is our hope that this coming year we can return to producing the magazine every 2-3 months, but we need your continued support in order to make that happen.

So if you don't already have a subscription, go by your local bookstore or contact a Left Turn collective near you and get a copy of this latest issue which is packed with analysis of the 2004 elections, the occupations of Iraq and Palestine, the Darfur crisis in the Sudan and the struggle in Bolivia, as well as activist reports and reviews. Feel free to post these articles on other websites, to other listservs, and in other print publications but please remember to give the author and Left Turn magazine credit.

Tip of the Iceburg by Bilal El-Amine www.leftturn.org/Articles/Viewer.aspx?id=591&type=M> The US elections revealed the unfortunate fact that a large section of the American population does not appreciate the profound mess created by the Bush administration in Iraq. Fresh figures of US casualties for November easily matched the record set last April (2003) when occupation forces besieged Najaf and Falluja. And December looks just as grim - the first weekend alone harvested 80 Iraqi deaths, mostly national guardsmen or police, who are being slaughtered by the dozens at the hands of the resistance. No doubt, the road to the Iraqi elections set for the end of January will be paved with blood.

Occupation on the Rocks: Three Views on War and Liberation Interview with Juan Cole, Phyllis Bennis, and Dahr Jamail www.leftturn.org/Articles/Viewer.aspx?id=592&type=M

The US occupation of Iraq is passing through a critical stage that may very well decide its fate. The November attack on Fallujah was intended to cripple the Iraqi resistance enough to clear the way for the January 30 elections. Instead it may have inflamed the insurgency and alienated the Sunni population, casting doubt on the legitimacy of any new Iraqi government. Who is the resistance and can it be overcome? What is the state of the occupation going into the elections and can a legitimate government be created under foreign occupation? Left Turn asked several commentators for their views.

No One is Illegal by Harsha Walila www.leftturn.org/Articles/Viewer.aspx?id=593&type=M The No One is Illegal Campaign across Canada brings together immigrants, refugees and allies in full confrontation with Canadian colonial border policies. We struggle for the right for our communities to maintain their livelihoods and resist war, occupation and displacement, while building alliances and supporting indigenous sisters and brothers also fighting theft of land and displacement.

"Causes and effects assume history marches forward, but history is not an army. It is a crab scuttling sideways, a drip of soft water wearing away stone, an earthquake breaking centuries of tension...."

- Rebecca Solnit____