[lbo-talk] cushy life

snit snat snitilicious at tampabay.rr.com
Tue Jan 18 08:16:55 PST 2005

At 10:40 PM 1/17/2005, joanna bujes wrote:
>I don't like this question/category much. Does one actually aspire to a
>cushy life?
>
>I think I stand with Nietzche on this when he dismissed Xtianity as a
>slave religion whose highest aspiration is to rest on Sunday. He got that
>right. The aspiration to a cushy life -- were we rate nothing higher than
>comfort and want to get without giving -- is also the aspiration of slaves
>or infants and unworthy of a mature human being.
>
>(Now Chuck can bite my head off.)
>
>Joanna

:) I kinda put that up as a joke after Jordan asked about it. As Doug
pointed out, "cushiness" is subjective and very relative. One thing that always gets me through tough times is to remember that I could have it far worse. When I used to go to bed 10-12 every evening and get up at 3 a.m. to get through grad school (no respite on wkends, either), I would remember a woman I knew who had to sneak off to college or her husband would have beaten her. She also had four kids. I may have had a totally unsupportive wasband, but at least I had only sonshine and at least i didn't have to sneak around. (tangent: wasband later told me that it was silly of me to think i'd been sonshine's primary caregiver. afterall, _he_ picked sonshine up from daycare twice a week. Fancy that! :)

so, life might have felt might un-cushy, but comparatively, it was very cushy.

anyway, i thought my joke answers to that q signalled that it was, indeed, a joke.

kelley

"We live under the Confederacy. We're a podunk bunch of swaggering pious hicks."

--Bruce Sterling