[lbo-talk] cushy life

Jordan Hayes jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com
Tue Jan 18 13:12:49 PST 2005

Yoshie writes:

> The choice that confronts many is not between security,
> comfort, and pleasure on one hand and insecurity, discomfort,
> and pain on the other hand, however.

I think this is far too abstract; I think many people don't even view it as a choice: they just get on a track, find it largely unobjectionable, and wind up there years later. For the few who find it objectionable, very few of them have any kind of say in the matter: either they are unable to change what they are doing (example: "I'd like to be the boss!" or on the other side "I'd like to quit this rat race!") due to constraints placed on them by their parents (what you ate and where you went to school determines a lot of it), the rest of society ("No black man is going to be a manager at MY grocery store!"), or themselves (raising a family, servicing a crushing mortgage).

Talking about it like it's a "choice" seems wrong.

/jordan