[lbo-talk] Boycotting the unorganized?

Bill Bartlett billbartlett at dodo.com.au
Wed Jan 19 04:51:52 PST 2005

Ah, so you think "workers involved aren't in any way scabs "? It depends on your definition of "scab". For a definition of "scab". I suggest you read this:

http://www.jacklondons.net/writings/theScab.html

Are the workers members of the union? If not, then it is intuitive that they are a threat to existing workers in the industry. They may not have done anything overt to threaten the other workers. But if they aren't members of the union, they are clearly indicating that they intend to scab on other workers in the industry, by competing with them. Or helping their employer compete with the employer of the other workers, which amounts to the same thing.

In a dog eat dog world, this is a declaration of war. The jobs of the unionised workers are directly threatened, the very life of the unionised workers are under threat. The union is entitled to do whatever is within its power to crush the scabs.

Why don't they just to join the union? Perhaps you might suggest it?

Bill Bartlett Bracknell Tas