South Africa (was: [lbo-talk] cushy life)

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Wed Jan 19 06:49:13 PST 2005

Patrick Bond:
> Bizarre. I usually learn lots from your posts, Wojtek. But empirically you
> are really very wrong about the racial component of those who resort to
> begging (probably based upon a few streets near a hotel or conference
> centre?).

Not really - I saw white panhandlers all over Pretoria, especially on major intersections when I was there last time (in 2001 I believe), while the poor blacks engaged in all kinds of retail operations, selling anything from chicken feet to cheapo imports to wood carvings. The explanation I posted to this list was actually provided by my South African hosts when I asked about it.

> Next time in SA, look us up!
> Patrick (http://www.ukzn.ac.za/ccs)

Definitely. BTW, so you replaced Adam Habib as the Director of CCS? I did not know that.

Wojtek