[lbo-talk] Boycotting the unorganized?

Chuck0 chuck at mutualaid.org
Wed Jan 19 08:47:56 PST 2005

Wojtek Sokolowski wrote:

> Most retail operations are not unionized and some of them are staunchly
> ant-union. They also account for a big chunk of retail labor force and
> unionizing them would really make a difference. Yet, they are unlikely to
> be targeted by a boycott because they lack the aforementioned vulnerability.
> Instead, an easy target is selected. Besides, the action you describes has
> some red flags - it looks like owners of the other establishments getting in
> cahoots with the union to undercut competition.

If they don't have a good reason to picket the store, then why bother with the picket line? I'm a union member and would cross a picket line that was set up for stupid reasons. Let's not put every picket and strike up on a pedestal. Unions and union members sometimes do dumb things.

At least ask them why they are out there.

Chuck