[lbo-talk] bubble (and squeek)

Tom Walker timework at telus.net
Wed Jan 19 13:46:41 PST 2005

Just _may_ be apocryphal: In 1929 (or was it 1928?), when Bernard Baruch (other versions: Joe Kennedy, John D. Rockefeller, J.P. Morgan) was given a stock tip by a shoeshine boy, he knew it was time to get out of the market.

True story: In November, 1996 I overheard stock market/mutual fund chatter from drywall installers, toy store clerks and mothers of toddlers at the playground. Six months later the run on the Thai Baht commenced, which ushered in the "Asian Contagion" financial panic of 1997.

Moral: never underestimate the power of an apocryphal tale.

Doug Henwood wrote,