[lbo-talk] frontiers of financial innovation

Jordan Hayes jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com
Wed Jan 19 15:35:11 PST 2005

> >Also: if there was a signifcant default rate on these
> >things, the banks wouldn't underwrite them.
>
> Gee, you mean that because IPOs have a shitty record going back
> decades, that means people won't buy them, and investment banks won't
> underwrite them? You have a touching faith in the rationality of
> financial markets.

You're confusing products to sell and products to buy :-)

If I underwrite an IPO, I make money no matter how the issue performs in the secondary market. And "underwriting" in this case is a joke: if the issue doesn't sell, the "underwriter" doesn't underwrite it. Period. The underwriting contract is (almost?) always signed AFTER the shares are allocated. Don't get me started on IPOs :-)

If I underwrite a mortgage and it defaults, I'm now a) out money and b) in the real estate market. BIG DIFFERENCE.

Are you just in a bad mood today, Doug?

/jordan