[lbo-talk] Re: lefties, fullfilment

Mark S bunyak1 at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 19 19:52:28 PST 2005

Doug Henwood wrote:

>Tom Walker wrote:
>
>>Has it occurred to anyone that the putative Calvinist leftist's "lust for
>>suffering" may simply be a form of conspicuous consumption (or in this
>>case conspicuous unconsumption) that performs or is intended to perform
>>the same status function that much consumption of wealth performs, once we
>>move a way from literalist interpretations of utility?
>
>It's occurred to me, but you put it better.

Futurist Watts Wacker was onto this a while ago. He has a number of thoughts on the issue (below). Unlike Wacker, I can't imagine mimetic desire disappearing. Some men will work 70-hour weeks to get their hands on one desirable thing or another...

M.

Quotes from "The 500-Year Delta: What Happens After What Comes Next."

Generation X has powerful subsidiary values. Its very uncertainty about its economic future is helping to turn the fear of downward mobility into the virtue of downward nobility, and the rise of downward nobility – the desire not for many things but a few good things – will drive consumerism in the years immediately ahead. ...

As the marketplace drives toward a supersaturation of products, scarcity disappears, and with it status orientation. As mass culture breaks up into, in effect, hundreds of millions of individual realities, there can be no shared assumptions of what is enviable to own.

… “privilege” implies conspicuous consumption when it is inconspicuous consumption, stealth wealth, and downward nobility that are helping to drive the dynamic of the marketplace today.

_________________________________________________________________ Take advantage of powerful junk e-mail filters built on patented Microsoft® SmartScreen Technology. http://join.msn.com/?pgmarket=en-ca&page=byoa/prem&xAPID=1994&DI=1034&SU=http://hotmail.com/enca&HL=Market_MSNIS_Taglines

Start enjoying all the benefits of MSN® Premium right now and get the first two months FREE*.