[lbo-talk] Boycotting the unorganized?

Chuck0 chuck at mutualaid.org
Thu Jan 20 10:20:26 PST 2005

Doug Henwood wrote:

> How can small unions possibly fight big capital? Stuff like this is why
> it's easy to see anarchists as living in a dream world.

You are living in a dream world if you think that big unions can accomplish anything. History shows the record of their chronic failure. With small radical unions, at least there is the chance that a network or movement of radical unions can be built which can't be sold down the river by some centralized union with comfy offices in Washington.

What's up with those unions who are talking about leaving the AFL-CIA? Are they headed for a dream world?

> Hmm, well maybe I'd cross a picket line organized by a fascist union, if
> such a thing were to exist. But otherwise, "don't cross a picket line"
> is an axiom of solidarity, not some piece of rigid absolutism. If the
> workers ask you to do it, who are you to second-guess them?

I have every right to second guess them! So does anybody else! Solidarity doesn't involve complying with every stupid picket or protest. And there are sometimes personal reasons, very valid reasons, why you have to cross a picket line. There are always exceptions to unwritten rules.

Chuck