[lbo-talk] cynicism, opportunism and fear (was lefties, fulfillment)

Tom Walker timework at telus.net
Thu Jan 20 10:44:13 PST 2005

The words in the subject line are not directed at any individual on this list. They refer, rather, to a dynamic that Paolo Virno dwells on in his analysis ("The Ambivalence of Disenchantment" and "Virtuousity and Revolution") of the contemporary experience of work Virno's central idea, which he reprises in the recently published A Grammar of the Multitude, is that modern work has been "politicized" to an extent that undermines the traditional, Aristotilean distinctions between Work, Action and Intellect that Hannah Arendt emphasised in The Human Condition. To use the analogy of art, modern work is more like the performance of a pianist or a dancer that expires with the performance than it is like that of the painter or sculptor, which results in a product that endures beyond the performance. That's why Virno uses the term "virtuosity" to describe it.

This politicization of work has consequences, one of which is to make "politics " seem like a pale imitation of work. Virno's argument here is an inversion of Arendt's about the technicization of politics. Or perhaps it would be better to say it combines Arendt's argument with an inversion of that view. Related to this politicization of work is the blurring of boundaries between work and non-work. Some people are working all the time, even when they're not at work. Others, who are essentially doing the same kinds of things are unemployed because they receive no remuneration for the work that they do. That is to say the distinction between working and not working is no longer so much the kinds of activities people do but whether or not they are getting paid for doing them. And what they do is mostly talk. The job of teachers, lawyers, journalists, etc. is to talk. (and talk and talk and talk.)

Another consequence of the politicization of work is that this performance requires an audience. And audiences can be cruel and fickle things. You're only ever as good as the _reception_ of your last performance... and tastes change. As virtuosos of talk, we also become afficianados of talk and critics of talk and we thus are aware that we are often rewarded for what are not our best performances and vice versa. It isn't even so much the performance that the audience applauds as our reputation or our "personality". Success depends on projecting an image of our self that conforms with what the audience wants us to be. The precariousness of this operation means that we need to always be on the look out for new opportunities -- either better opportunities or else a fall back when the current gig runs its course. Cynicism and opportunism are thus the crucial ingredients for success at work.

The training in this cynicism and opportunism occurs during unemployment, the long and recurring intervals of looking for work, marketing what we can do, "selling ourselves." The "looking for work" thus becomes the model for the kind of work we do when we eventually find it. Value has become unlinked from the time that the worker spends at work to the extent that surplus value is produced in the time outside of work, both the non-working time of the worker and the looking-for-work time of the unemployed.

That is why I remain your most humble and obedient servant,

The Sandwichman