[lbo-talk] Re: Boycotting the unorganized?

BklynMagus magcomm at ix.netcom.com
Thu Jan 20 13:22:57 PST 2005

Dear List:

ravi writes:

> its the "otherwise"s, that you (and the other person...
lacny?) mention in passing, that's crucial to this discussion, isn't it? your "otherwise" includes "fascism". mine may include racism. how about sexism?

Would any LBOster cross the picket line of Fred Phelps to attend the funeral/memorial service of a queer who died of AIDS?

> is personal reasoning and action equivalent to "second
guessing"?

To authoritarians it is.

> shouldn't our support for another person or group be
based on valid moral reasoning?

Uh-oh ravi, you said a nasty word: moral.

> surely something as high-level as solidarity with
a particular worker group cannot be morally axiomatic?

I think we can give the worker group the benefit of the doubt initially, but a person should also exercise her own critical moral faculties as more is learned about the situation.

> what makes the rule "don't cross a picket line" an axiom
of solidarity rather than a piece of rigid absolutism?

Nothing. Once the human element is removed, then it becomes absolutism.

Brian Dauth Queer Buddhist Resister