[lbo-talk] Re: Summers Does It Again

arash at riseup.net arash at riseup.net
Thu Jan 20 13:24:15 PST 2005

>I think there should be a rule that people who know nothing about
>genetics (presumably including this guy) should not say anything about
>the subject. Don't ask me who would enforce it, though.

Steven Pinker used to teach the behavioral genetics course at MIT, his comments on the Summers talk:

http://www.thecrimson.com/today/article505366.html

CRIMSON: From what psychologists know, is there ample evidence to support the hypothesis that a difference in “innate ability” accounts for the under-representation of women on science faculties?

PINKER: First, let’s be clear what the hypothesis is—every one of Summers’ critics has misunderstood it. The hypothesis is, first, that the statistical distributions of men’s and women’s quantitative and spatial abilities are not identical—that the average for men may be a bit higher than the average for women, and that the variance for men might be a bit higher than the variance for women (both implying that there would be a slightly higher proportion of men at the high end of the scale). It does not mean that all men are better at quantitative abilities than all women! That’s why it would be immoral and illogical to discriminate against individual women even if it were shown that some of the statistidcal differences were innate.