[lbo-talk] lefties, fulfillment, happiness, cushy

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Thu Jan 20 14:12:54 PST 2005

Carl Remick wrote:

> That's a beaut. Someone said H. L. Mencken may be the only person ever to
> have stared into the abyss and smiled, but that appears true also of Adam
> Smith, whose position seems to be: The system is hell, but it's a hell of a
> system!

Many have stared into the abyss and smiled. And the Smith's position, as you describe it, is the classical defense of conservatism -- and as far as I can see, the _only_ intellectually competent defense. My defense of revolution is not much different, as a matter of fact. I agree with Justin (disregarding irony) that, essentially, we're fucked -- and revolution represents a very slight chance, but the only chance. One in a thousand (or a million) is better than zero.

Carrol