[lbo-talk] Boycotting the unorganized?

snit snat snitilicious at tampabay.rr.com
Thu Jan 20 22:03:35 PST 2005

At 12:14 AM 1/21/2005, Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:
>if they can't rely on their family members' self-exploitation), so Bill's
>family members can't be said to be putting downward wage pressures and
>eroding industry standards. I'm not even sure if we can talk about wages
>here. Presumably, the living standards of Bill's wife, mother, children,
>and mother-in-law are more positively correlated with the store's profits
>than with their "wages," which puts them into a different class than
>workers for the bigger union and non-union grocery stores.

Is self-exploiation even possible? Seriously. I ask because Carrol once made the argument that a violinist isn't exploiting someone if he hires another muscian to play a gig.

I can't see how my partner and I will be exploiting ourselves, either. Nor my son exploiting himself if we were to have enough work to need his help. We'd pay ourselves a living wage and then charge enough to cover overhead, expenses (which include things like time to learn new tools), marketing to keep business coming in in case we lose a client, etc. The small business experts say that you should factor in profit to get a rate you can live with. In our case, that would go right into savings for retirement and emergency expenses -- if we were that lucky.

kelley

"We live under the Confederacy. We're a podunk bunch of swaggering pious hicks."

--Bruce Sterling