[lbo-talk] Re: boycotting the unorganized

John Adams jadams01 at sprynet.com
Fri Jan 21 04:06:35 PST 2005

On Jan 20, 2005, at 10:37 AM, Doug Henwood wrote:

> John Thornton wrote:
>
>> Most people in this country cross picket lines every day.
>
> That might have something to do with our low rates of unionization,
> low levels of social benefits, and very large low-wage work force. Ah,
> but The Freedom of crossing a picket line on individual whim. I'm
> proud to be an American, because at least I know I'm free!!!

What do you do when you check into a hotel at night for a one-night stay, then the next day an informational picket line appears outside? Do you stay another night because you won't cross the picket line? If you go out for breakfast before the picket line shows up, do you abandon your belongings inside because you won't cross?

I hope this doesn't sound like simple argumentativeness--it happened to me a year ago, and I'm genuinely curious what I should have done.

John A