[lbo-talk] Brand spankin' new Stalins

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 21 08:43:24 PST 2005

I checked it out, and the proposed monuments (plural) are not really to Stalin -- they are more monumente to the Big Three, in honor of the 60th anniversary of the Great Victory. Georgian (surprise!) sculpter Zurab Tsereteli, already fanous for his Peter I (http://www.rusnet.nl/news/2003/11/18/culture01.shtml), Princess Diana (http://www.tribuneindia.com/2001/20010705/world.htm#3), Putin, Christopher Colombus (http://columbus.vanderkrogt.net/es/sevilla_egg.html) and proposed 9/11 (http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/lofiversion/index.php/t4896.html)

and Beslan memorials, is doing one each for Moscow, Yalta, and Belgorod.

The Moscow City Government denied yesterday, however, that a statue was going up in Moscow.

The statue proposed for Yalta is Stalin, Churchill and Roosevelt in armchairs sitting around a table as in the famous photograph; the one for Belgorod is Stalin and Zhukov leaning over a table looking at a war map. The Belgorod monument was proposed to City Hall by the city's WWII veterans. I don't know what the seemingly vetoed Moscow monument was intended to be like.

===== Nu, zayats, pogodi!