[lbo-talk] Boycotting the unorganized?

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Fri Jan 21 09:32:02 PST 2005

Paul wrote:

> It was rank and file, in a line,
> handing out leaflets -- but in a style that was more like a picket line
> (their organizational experience) and discouraging interaction (out of
> fear? concern for disruption?). [clip] [clip] and didn't provide the
> kind of history and justification that a middle class [clip]
>
> [clip] And most middle
> class passerby's [clip]
>
> Of course none of us wants to support this type of union leadership and
> union structure - this is part of what MUST be changed. But the
> overarching question for people on this list is how do we reach those
> workers? How do we make sure that they and the Michael P.'s connect?

An analysis of this situation that endlessly invokes a mythical "middle class" is simply not serious.

We are talking about a huge working class differntiated into innumerable fragments, and leftists just can't bring themselves to escape their slavery to what is perhaps the chief cultural/ideological weapon of capital, the really weird belief in a middle class.

Tom Walker's powerful focus on time ought to disabuse people of this error.

By focusing on this non-existent "middle class" this whole thread magnifies the power of capital.

Carrol Carrol