[lbo-talk] Re: Boycotting the Unorganized?

BklynMagus magcomm at ix.netcom.com
Fri Jan 21 13:20:16 PST 2005

Dear List:

Kelley writes:

> see now, here's an example where you seem to jump
on me a wee bit when you should know better.

I am sorry if I seem to be jumping on you. That was not my intention.

> I wasn't discussing the racism, hetero/sexism, etc. of
unions. To expect me or anyone else to do so within the constraints of internet communication is taking it a bit far.

We must disagree. I think it very useful to discuss the heterosexism of unions. I think leftists too often give groups that they feel are allies such as unions (but not restricted to unions) a free pass on heterosexism: "We don't like it that they are haters, but we ignore the issue and do not bring it up so as not to offend/alienate them."

> Also, while I understand your frustration with heterosexism,
I'm not sure berating everyone on the assumption that they are is a great approach.

Maybe not. But I have found that most heterosexuals are heterosexist to some extent. I am not refering to the odd comment here and there -- it happens to all people. I am talking about the de-emphasis on queer issues that some leftists engage in so as not to alienate others. Remember when most of LBO agreed that sexual freedom was a minor concern compared with others? I mean, is there any doubt that the electricians' union in Massachusetts should be persona non grata to all leftists/unionists because of what they did?

> I was talking about a very specific example: crossing a
picket line for emergency care... then you turn it into another issue altogether and the tone is accusatory.

I was unclear. What I am asking is should a union that engages in/promotes heterosexism expect that its picket line be honored? Should leftists respect hate?

> You're asking about something else and it's insulting that you
are.

Again, I apologize. I was using your post as a jumping off point for other thoughts and that was an error.

> OF COURSE I know that unions remain sexist, xenophobic,
etc. They've made progress; they have a long way to go -- as with everything else about progressive social movements.

And I think we have to stop coddling them. We have gone as far as we can with understanding/excusing people's/groups' heterosexism. It is time to come corect or be ostracized. I'll play absolutist: queer rights are non-negotiable (oooh, that made me tingle).

> Again, I'm not trying to antagonize, but it gets a little
exasperating when you're jumping down my throat -- even though I know you wouldn't put a jiggler anywhere NEAR my mouth.

You never know. I may get to limp dick one day, meet you, decide to change from queer to non-queer and . . .

Brian Dauth Queer (for the moment) Buddhist Resister