[lbo-talk] Re: boycotting the unorganized (middle class)

snit snat snitilicious at tampabay.rr.com
Fri Jan 21 14:22:48 PST 2005

and all this happens simply by verbalizing it, right? you just tell people the truth of their condition and --voila!--revolution. this is what I never get about Carrol's position. It's as if engaging in the very analysis Marx engaged in -- he discusses all sorts of _classes_ (not just two) and did so in Das Kaptial. When writing about the French Revolution, his historical analysis was about delineating the several different _classes_ that he identified and asking where their interests lie and why they took the sides they took. The interest in theories of the "new class" that spring up in the late 60s/70s came straight from Marx's discussion of the role of intellectuals, which he saw as a _class_ that could go either way.

there's people's _subjective_ perception, but as Marx showed, there is also a way to look at the issue of _classes_ that really does have to do with relation to the means of production. Even Marx didn't say it was simply as either you either own them or you don't. Marx only said that, as crises advanced the world would eventually be composed of two classes at a standoff, with the myriad classes eventually taking one side or the other.

kelley