[lbo-talk] Re: John Hess dies

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Jan 21 14:39:44 PST 2005

John Mage wrote:

>Looked at his blog. Doug, thanks for the URL. He was sharp to the end.
>Several times I took a guest visiting NYC to Gennaro's (92nd and
>Amsterdam) on Tuesday around 6pm knowing that there was a 50-50 chance
>we could get to sit with John and Karen, and hear some of the best talk
>available anywhere - and the food there's good too.
>Among his many NYTimes stories ( a special subset was stupid things said
>by Flora Lewis) my fave was a rant about their hyperarrogant
>copyeditors, with the illustration that during '68 in Paris he rushed a
>story off to NY with some obvious abbreviations & read the next day that
>students had fought the police on Michigan Boulevard.
>I loved that old codger. He had all the right hates and loves.

Yup, I agree. I remember seeing him on a panel about Nicaragua at Hunter College during the Reagan years. He told Ron Radosh (I think - it's been almost 20 years) to go fuck himself for his contra apologetics, and Radosh walked out. A splendid moment in the history of debate. Reminds me of the time that Adolph Reed told someone - can't remember who - that he sounded like Pat Buchanan only without the courage of his convictions. The target of that barb pushed his chair back and looked like he was about to sock Adolph (or so Adolph said, I didn't see it myself).

Doug