[lbo-talk] So Spinsanity has called it quits...

Samuel Waite haymarket326 at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 21 15:32:15 PST 2005

As of 1/19, they're no longer updating the site. I only ever read it once in a great while. With its closing, I took the opportunity to browse the archives, and also some reactions to the site around the Web. I was somewhat surprised to find little criticism -- just the usual right-wing delusions of liberal bias and a feminist, anti-racist critique.

There's doubtless much of value to be found on the site, but some of it seems kind of inane. Many entries seem to boil down to, "X said Y. Saying Y is mean. Therefore, X should not have said Y."

But such rhetoric is part of a long tradition in American politics, and I don't see anything terribly wrong with it, so long as there's some substance to it.

All three contributors seem pretty much to be establishment liberals -- and I emphasize establishment. They've made at least one spurious attack on FAIR (http://www.prwatch.org/node/1296) and claimed that the Scaife-funded Center for Media and Public Affairs is not "part of the conservative movement".

I'd be interested in hearing others' thoughts.