[lbo-talk] Re: boycotting the unorganized (middle class)

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sat Jan 22 10:29:23 PST 2005

Turbulo at aol.com wrote:

>Yes, this is what you have to tell them in one way or another.Unless
>people discard their illusions and face their reality, nothing much
>will ever change. Why should anyone want to transform his/her
>reality if s/he doesn't perceive it as unappealing?

You think it's that straightforward? You think people don't cling to myths as defenses against unpleasant realities? Americans hear from the day they're born that we're all middle class and upwardly mobile and life is constantly getting better. Of course a lot of that is a crock, but telling someone they're full of it is more likely to get you a punch in the face than a new recruit.

Doug