[lbo-talk] lefties, fulfillment, happiness, cushy

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Sat Jan 22 10:50:40 PST 2005

[The NY Times just reviewed the book I mentioned below, _Trawler_ by Redmond O'Hanlon:]

'Trawler': The Life Aquatic

By BRUCE BARCOTT

... With the help of a marine researcher named Luke Bullough, O'Hanlon made arrangements to join the Norlantean, a deep-sea commercial fishing trawler, in the highest seas in the roughest weather at the worst time of year. The two board the ship as it pulls out of the northern port of Thurso into the teeth of a Force 11 wind. (Force 12 is a hurricane.) ''Welcome aboard, boys,'' one of the crew says. ''You've picked one hell of a time to come.''

The ship's captain and owner isn't concerned about providing thrills. Brutal economics compel him to go out in all weather. Refitting the Norlantean has left him $3.8 million in debt, which means he must catch $95,000 in fish every 10 days. ''And the bank?'' explains the young researcher Bullough, who plays Virgil to O'Hanlon's Dante. ''Do you think they know or care about the weather? Does a Force 11, or a Force 12, a junior hurricane -- does that appear on your statement? Of course not!''

Though it takes nearly $4 million in gear to do it successfully, deep-sea trawling operates on a simple idea: troll a wide-mouth net through water 3,000 feet deep, haul it in and see what comes up. Once the captain starts fishing, he won't stop until the hold is full. Trawlermen typically go days without sleep, dodging heavy equipment and spiny, sharp-toothed fish on a slick deck in bucking seas. Their odds of being killed on the job are greater than those for any other workers in England. ...

<http://www.nytimes.com/2005/01/23/books/review/23BARCOTT.html?oref=login>

Carl