[lbo-talk] Ross on the Zaps

Thomas Seay entheogens at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 22 12:45:30 PST 2005

> [One of the reasons I've gotten more skeptical
> about "changing the world without taking power"
> is the relatively small impact the Zapatistas
> have had on Mexico 11 years after they burst onto
> the scene.

Point taken, but even if you take power in an isolated country would it be that much better and you would be faced with a dilemma between low standards of living or seeking some kind of compromise with the capitalist world surrounding you.

Certainly the notion of "exodus" from capital is likely to fail unless you can somehow take substantial means of production with you....the chances of this are more likely "PERHAPS" with the advent of nanotechnology and other forms of advanced technology not immediately on the horizon.

However, especially if you live in a country with a "specialized economy" ie production of a very narrow range of goods, what are your chances of success even if you take over the state and means of production?

-Thomas

===== <<Furthermore, we must ask what does the dialectician want? What does this will which wills the dialectic want? It is an exhausted force which does not have the strength to affirm its difference, a force which no longer acts but rather reacts to the forces which dominate it-only such a force brings to the foreground the negative element in its relation to the other. Such a force denies all that it is not and makes this negation its own essence and the principle of its existence.>> -Gilles Deleuze "Nietzche & Philosophy"